Friday, January 4, 2013

Photography and Cameras: Kodak Signet 35

In my Creative Photography class I took some interesting photos and used a number of different cameras.  One of my favorite cameras is the Kodak Signet 35.  It was built about 1950 and the ergonomics are exceptional: it just fits in your hand and is so easy to use.  It also has some interesting features.  Here is a photo of the front of the camera.

It is a rangefinder camera.  As you look through the viewfinder you see two images.  As you change the focus the images come together and when they merge you know the camera is in focus.  Last summer I worked on this camera and fixed the rangefinder in it.  It has a Kodak Ektar 44 mm f/3.5 lens which can focus from 2 feet to infinity.  The shutter is a Synchro 300 with shutter speeds of "B", 1/25, 1/50, 1/100 and 1/300 seconds.  The aperture settings are 3.5, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16 and 22.  You must cock the shutter before you can take a picture.  This prevents you from accidentally taking a double exposure.  (This can be overcome, as I will show.)

Here is a photo of the back of the camera.


Notice the sliding mechanism that is designed to help you decide which shutter speed and aperture setting is appropriate for the scene.  It is really cool.  I'll show a couple of photos that I took with the Signet 35.

No comments:

Post a Comment