Friday, January 4, 2013

Photography and Cameras: 35mm Pinhole Camera

I bought a 35mm pinhole camera kit.  It said, "You can build your own pinhole camera!"  I couldn't resist it.  It was fun building it.  All of the pieces came on a sheet (like cereal box paper) and had to be punched out.  You glue and clamp them together.  The lens that came with the kit had a problem so I drilled my own lens in the top of a can of beans.  I drilled the hole using a number 10 sewing needle and some 600 grit sandpaper.  It took a few hours to finish but worked great.  The aperture of the lens is f/256.  I love the fact that it must be held together with rubber bands.  There is no film counter.  After you take a picture, you must guess how many times to turn the take-up reel.  It has a nut on the bottom for attachment to a tripod.  I found that 400 ISO Tri-X film was too fast for the camera.  I could not open and close the shutter fast enough so I used TMax-100 film with it.  That worked.



If you look closely, you will see that the shutter could have some problems.  It could let light in even when the shutter is closed.  I could have used black tape over the top of the shutter, but I did not think of it at the time.  I will post one photo from this camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment