Thursday, June 23, 2011

Painting 1 -- Fukushima Study

This is the fourth study that I did to prepare for the large, complex work on contemporary issues. It is to represent the explosion at the Fukushima nuclear power plant. It is about 9 inches by 12 inches and is oil on paper. I believe that this is the best painting that I did during the semester. Some things that I really like about it are that I used extra medium to make the paint flow more freely. This made the brush strokes much freer and more expressive. I like the way the colored ground (dark blue patterned ground) shows through the image in places. I like the semi-abstraction with a recognizable image. I like the rich colors and interesting diagonals. I wish every painting turned out this good.









No comments:

Post a Comment